[arin-ppml] fee schedule

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed Oct 22 18:12:49 EDT 2008

On Oct 22, 2008, at 2:05 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> It's like a UNIX man page.  If you have never encountered the
> particular software program, the man page for it is indecipherable.
> But once you understand the program the man page becomes obvious.

No, that's not it at all.  The page has numerous "follow-me" paths
that dead end.

Example: starting with the heading "Initial Assignment Registration Fee"

> ARIN charges an initial registration fee to organizations that
> receive an assignment of IPv6 address space directly from ARIN. ARIN
> will only complete the assignment of the address space upon its
> receipt of this payment and a signed Registration Services Agreement
> (RSA).
> The initial registration fee is based on the amount of address space
> assigned as outlined below.

Okay, nice table showing the assignment fee.

> Annual Maintenance Fee

Ah, okay, so how much is the annual maintenance fee?

> Organizations must pay a consolidated annual maintenance fee to
> cover all AS numbers, IPv4 or IPv6 assignments, or network transfers
> associated with an Org ID. However if the Org ID is also associated
> with a direct allocation of IP address space from ARIN, this fee is
> not charged.
>
> For details about this fee, please see the Annual Maintenance Fee
> section of this Fee Schedule.

Okay, so I click the "Annual Maintenance Fee" link and jump to there:

> Annual Maintenance Fee
>
> An organization will receive an invoice for its ARIN annual
> maintenance fee two months before the fee is due. The due date for
> fees is the last day of the month in which an organization's
> anniversary date occurs.  An anniversary date is the day on which an
> organization received its first resource from ARIN. Payment must be
> made by the due date, in accordance with the Registration Services
> Agreement. If fees are not paid, the number resources related to the
> invoice will be subject to revocation.
>
> When a single Org ID has more than one resource registered with ARIN
> (e.g. AS numbers, IPv4 or IPv6 assignments, or network transfers),
> ARIN charges only a single maintenance fee of $100 annually.

The next section is online payments.  So my question is not answered.
So I scan the entire document and .. guess what, there's not a single
table in the document labeled "annual maintenance fees".  What is my
annual maintenance fee?  How do I figure this out?

NOTE: I do personally know the answer for my company.  But this
doesn't change the fact that I couldn't use this page to document
that, because you can't get from here to there without information not
available in the page.

The entire document is riddled with "follow-me -> dead end" paths like
this.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek