[arin-ppml] "Millions of Internet Addresses Are Lying Idle" (slashdot)

Ron Cleven rlc at usfamily.net
Tue Oct 21 15:58:23 EDT 2008

I think this whole line of conversation is missing the point.  One has
to honestly and simply discuss the reasons that IPv6 has not yet taken
hold yet, and why it will not have taken hold in 12 months from now.
Until and unless someone can describe, in simple layman's terms, a
rational transition plan to IPv6, I don't see it happening.

1) What are the largest barriers that will prevent widescale adoption of
IPv6 in the next 12 months or whatever timeframe (the biggest one seems
to be we haven't hit the wall yet, in spite of idiotic management of IP
resources)?

2) How can the transition be simplified?

3) Most importantly, how can the transition be incentified?

There are a lot of smart people on this list, but you need to step back
from your techno-jargon and put your collective brains to use to deal
with practical issues.

You could start incentifying the transition to IPv6 by removing the
"economies of scale" on IPv4 allocations (which provides precisely the
wrong incentive, talk about STUPID policy!).  The annual renewal of all
IPv4 allocations should cost the same per ip address, whether you have
256 ip's or 16 million.  And, yeah, I'm tired of hearing from all those
arrogant entities who happened to acquire their addresses before ARIN
had any of their ducks in a row.  Get over it.  This should be a
technical battle, not a legal one.

Anyway, once the renewal costs were equalized, then ARIN, et al, should
ratchet up those annual renewal costs until IPv4 address space usage
reaches steady-state.  This would not solve the transition issues, but
it would provide the economic incentive for all you really smart people
to figure it out.