[arin-ppml] "Millions of Internet Addresses Are Lying Idle" (slashdot)

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Mon Oct 20 00:43:02 EDT 2008

> 	even if a couple dozen /8's reenter the playing field,
> 	we are -never- going to back to status quo (to borrow
> 	friend bushes phrasology).   like it or not, we are
> 	in a situation where we have to deal w/ steady state
> 	in the v4 world.

steady state could mean no growth but nobody is saying that.  it could also
mean a universally addressed core with ambiguously addressed edge networks
and double/triple NAT and ALG gluing it all together.  some are saying that.
finally, it could mean universally addressed IPv6 everywhere, after a period
of transition where growth slows or comes in the form of double/triple NAT.

i'm accepting of your assertion "have to deal w/ steady state v4".  but i'm
pondering the possible implications of that steady state.  some authors of
"relaxed transfer" policy proposals describe their endgame, but some do not.