[arin-ppml] Heard and McDonald

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Oct 10 14:26:50 EDT 2008

I want to bring up an item that came up in the 2008-4 discussion
but IS COMPLETELY UNRELATED.  Please let's not discuss 2008-4 in
this thread.

The Heard and McDonald Islands are in the ARIN service region, as
defined at http://www.arin.net/community/ARINcountries.html.
Information on these islands can be found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heard_Island_and_McDonald_Islands or
if you don't trust Wikipeida,
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/hm.html.

Near as I can tell, APNIC allocates IP's for everywhere around this
set of islands, and the islands are territories of APNIC, which is
a country APNIC serves and is located in.  It seems to me that
should these islands ever need IP's (which is unlikely) that APNIC
is much better positioned to provide the resources.

Is there some procedure for ARIN and APNIC to agree to transfer
these islands from one service region to another?  Would anyone
else support (or oppose) such a move?