[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-4 - New wording

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Oct 10 12:59:26 EDT 2008

> I'm going to have to stick with the courage of my convictions
> on this one, I simply cannot support this policy if it is
> limited to the Caribbean.  It has to include all of the
> smaller economies in the ARIN Region.

New Title - Minimum Allocation in Special Regions

Add the following as section 4.8 of NRPM:

4.8.   Minimum Allocation. The minimum IPv4 allocation size for ISPs
from a Special Region within the ARIN region is /22.

   4.8.1. List of Special Regions

The following defined regions will be considered Special Regions for the
purposes of section 4.8:

   4.8.1.1 The country Barbados
   4.8.1.2 The country Bermuda
   4.8.1.3 The country Jamaica
   4.8.1.4 The French Overseas Department of Martinique
   4.8.1.5 The French Overseas Collectivity of St. Pierre & Miquelon

   4.8.2. Allocation Criteria.

*  The requesting organization must show the efficient
utilization of an entire previously allocated /22 from their
upstream ISP. This allocation (/22) may have been provided
by an ISP's upstream provider(s), and does not have to be
contiguous address space. The organization must meet the
requirement of efficient use of 4 /24s.

*  A multi-homed organization must show the efficient
utilization of an entire previously allocated /23 from their
upstream ISP. This allocation (/23) may have been provided
by an ISP's upstream provider(s), and does not have to be
contiguous address space. The organization must meet the
requirement of efficient use of 2 /24s.

*  Utilization Reporting and Justification. All other ARIN policies
regarding the reporting of justification information for the
allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 address space will remain in effect.

> I'll grant that primary effect of this policy will be in the
> Caribbean, they are probably the "Small Economies" that are
> even big enough and advanced enough to actually have the
> issue currently, but that doesn't make it right to exclude
> the other "Small Economies" from this policy.

If you compare my wording above (with its incomplete list)
you will note that the changes are very minor. The biggest
change is to get every territory named on the list in an
unambigous way that is consistent with the grammar of the
run-on sentence in which the list is placed.

This is not a big task and really should be done.

--Michael Dillon

P.S. Because some people have difficulty with reading
comprehension, I have left of the U.S. and Canadian
territories that I mentioned earlier. I *NEVER* intended
that they be a part of this policy change. I only wanted
to demonstrate how a rational layout of the policy with
a list, made it much easier to add overlooked regions if
we should notice, at some future date, that we had overlooked
something.