[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-4 - Staff Assessment

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Oct 9 15:21:21 EDT 2008

On Oct 9, 2008, at 11:15 AM, David Kessens wrote:

> Owen,
>
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 09:44:41AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>
>> Why not just define it as any area more than 100km from an
>> incorporated city or metropolitan area with a population greater
>> than 250,000 and eliminate ALL of the above oddities?
>
> What data is going to be used ? Who is going to verify this "simple"
> definition ?

The same problem applies to Michael's much more elaborate effort
at the same statement.

As to what data would be used, I would suppose the official government
population figures for the applicable national government in question.

However, I think Leo did a better job of directly expressing what I was
attempting to express indirectly.  The problem is not population
density,
it is geography.

The reality is that I think the policy could apply as follows:

Any nation where 70% or more of their land mass consists of islands.

Owen