[arin-ppml] 2008-6: Emergency Transfer Policy for IPv4 Addresses

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Thu Oct 9 14:03:00 EDT 2008

On Oct 9, 2008, at 12:39 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

>> On Oct 6, 2008, at 9:27 AM, Randy Bush wrote:
>>
>>> and this is not a problem if you get the space from an rir, only if
>>> you buy it on an open market.  cool!
>>>
>>> randy
>>
>> That's right Randy. To recap from last week, what makes routing keep
>> working under the current paradigm?
>>
>> 1. CIDR  -- which provides the basic tools.
>
> Which still exists if there are transfers...

Hi Milton,

Perhaps you misunderstood something(s).
"Open market" means that IPv4 address resources obtained for use after
the exhaustion of the RIR-administered reserves can come from a wide
variety of sources. That's the *opposite* of "top-level aggregation."
CIDR was designed to manage the task of routing system capacity
conservation using the inputs that top-level aggregation permitted.
CIDR does indeed still exist with or without those inputs, but without
them it's of no further use as a check on the ever-growing demand for
routing system capacity.

Maybe individual IPv4 dealers will attempt to optimize their future
IPv4 sales to maximize aggregation potential -- i.e., public benefit
-- rather than profit/private benefit, but widespread assumptions
about the inevitability of IPv4 sales regardless of rules or policies
doesn't exactly support that assumption. Even if they did try, and
even succeeded, the growth trend under a single centrally administered
"top-level aggregation" is already alarming to some operator. *That*
was the basic gist of Randy's oft-repeated critique of the RIR system.
Multiply that trend by a thousand, or a hundred, or maybe just a
handful of new top-level address resource suppliers, each with strong
incentives may often conflict with aggregation, and you can see how
that demand trend might change a bit.

Buggy whips still exist too, but I find that my car's accelerator
pedal works better.

>> 2. Top-level aggregation -- which the RIR community-system provided,
>> and kept flexible over time as technology improved and RIR community
>> practices changed.
>
> Which still exists if there are transfers...
>
>> 3. Filtering -- which was/is only commercially feasible because of
>> the
>> top-level aggregation made possible by the RIR community-system.
>
> Which still exists if there are transfers...

This one you clearly misunderstood.
Sure, large service providers can filter long prefixes, but the only
way they can do that without voluntarily losing visibility to/from
some parts of the Internet is if all of those long prefixes are
"covered" by  larger routing table entries -- which is what the
combination of top-level aggregation plus CIDR makes possible. Without
that, they can still use filtering to protect their own routing
subsystem investments, but only at the expense of foregoing new
customers that arrive with nothing but a small quantity of purchased
IPv4. In addition, as more growth is accommodated by such small
prefixes, a filtering service provider will not only miss out on new
business, they'll probably start lose some of the existing customers,
who would also be losing visibility to everything new that's coming
online. On top of that, they'll also be pissing off their peers who do
not filter, because the filterers will be indirectly degrading the
connectivity of the non-filterers' new resource transfer recipient
customers.

The best way to handle this will be a routing cartel of some kind, at
least until the DOJ steps in.
After that, the best way to handle it will be somebody else's problem.

>> 4. Open entry for new routing service providers, which the arms-
>> length
>
> Which becomes more limited due to ipv4 scarcity with or without
> transfers

More limited, asymptotically approaching absolutely impossible,
forever -- that's the future that a self-regulating, privatized IPv4-
based Internet promises.
I admit that it's in an improbable one, but improbable only because
the "self-regulating" aspect will be the first to to go.

Frankly, given your long advocacy for expanding the supply of TLDs,
I'm a little surprised that you've chosen to support artificial
scarcity when it comes to number resources. When confronted with a
hard choice between the means (competition, the profit motive, the
prospect of "cornering the market" once and for all) and the
hypothetical ends of market-based allocation regimes (e.g., relative
abundance, the prospect of winners as well as losers being better off
than under any other arrangement), you've made your own preferences
abundantly clear. And so have I.

Now the community (or of you prefer, the "community") will have to
decide.

TV