[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-4 - Staff Assessment

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Oct 9 11:15:10 EDT 2008

In a message written on Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 04:55:37PM -0700, Scott Leibrand wrote:
> Do you know whether that person was concerned about a narrower staff
> interpretation?  Or were they advocating that one of the excluded islands
> be included?  (If the latter, do you know which one?)

My vague memory is that someone stood up and said something like:

   conditions in the us and canada are xyz, and the rest of the arin
   region has different conditions

To which someone (I think Ray) said something like:

   This policy applies to the Caribbean, we also have some other islands
   like....

Basically in an attempt to correct the speaker that the policy was not
"non-us non-canada" but rather Caribbean.

To which someone else added something like:

   It seems like they would have similar issues.

I don't recall anything that sounded like "advocating" to me.

The transcript is at
http://www.arin.net/meetings/minutes/carib_fall_08/csm_transcript.html#anchor_16
but I see nothing of this conversation there.  It may well have
happened in an open mike, or at the social.

Truthfully (and part of why I posed the Wikipedia links) I'm not sure
many people in the US, Canada, or the Caribbean know ARIN is providing
IPs for a small uninhabited island near antarctica, for instance.  Id
doubt many people have considered the issue at all.