[arin-ppml] 2008-6: Emergency Transfer Policy for IPv4 Addresses

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Oct 6 11:21:30 EDT 2008

> and if you think that, three years from now, the rirs will
> have larger blocks to sell than the open market, please share
> what you're smoking.

It's called IPv6. You can get big blocks today and you will
still be able to get big blocks 3 years from now, and even
10 years from now.

> and perhaps you have not read any of the routing table
> analyses.  we have already lost the routing table battle.
> it's over 50% crap.

Seems to me like the battle was won. The routing table growth
curve was kept below the curve of core routers' ability to
handle the table growth. And the vendors have all taken on
board the need to support that kind of table growth for
the foreseeable future so their equipment roadmaps leave
plenty of headroom. In a world where 99% of SMTP traffic is
crap, it seems to me that we are doing very well if only
50% of the routing table is crap.

--Michael Dillon