[arin-ppml] uncoordinated market for IPv4 addresses will cause routing failure

John Schnizlein schnizlein at isoc.org
Mon Oct 6 11:12:32 EDT 2008

Changed the subject because this applies to any transfer policy.

I have been looking for justification of a managed market specifically
based on the need to preserve (somewhat) the hierarchy of addresses
within the global route table.  If arbitrary transfers would
significantly scramble the routing tables, that would seem to justify
undertaking the challenge of operating a market maker.  In such an
approach, asks and bids would be cleared so that the particular
address block allocated would better fit the routing hierarchy than
random (uncoordinated) allocations.  Setting up such a market maker is
not a trivial undertaking, and would concentrate questions about
fairness on the market operator, rather than distributing them among
the parties involved in transfers.

What I have heard is that the fragmentation of global routing due to
traffic engineering and multihoming has already scrambled things
enough that random transfers is not likely to make much difference.
It has been pointed out that transfers are likely to only gradually
add to the complexity of the global route table, not cause a sharp
spike.

In the context of similar discussion in RIPE, it seems that an impact
on the global route table is not expected.
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/policies/proposals/2007-08.html
  "the RIPE NCC does not anticipate that any significant impact will
be caused if this proposal is implemented"
Is there enough difference between ARIN addresses and RIPE addresses
to think the conclusion for ARIN would be different?

Does somebody have experimental analysis that indicates a numerical
estimate of how many random transfers would produce how much
fragmentation (extra entries) in the global route table for ARIN
addresses?

John