[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Annual WHOIS POC Validation -Revised

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Sun Oct 5 04:47:42 EDT 2008

> <Summary of changes in Version 2>
>
> "...is not received within 's/14 days/the responce period/', every..."
> Lets ARIN staff adjust the period year to year, based on the
> number of false positives from the years before.

While I like sensible processes such as your proposed change,
I do not like the idea of ARIN policy containing such detailed
instructions to staff on something which really is irrelevant
to ARIN's mission.

Who really cares how ARIN staff makes the determination that
a Point Of Contact (POC) is no longer contactable?

Why couldn't a policy just mandate that ARIN staff verify,
annually, that Points Of Contact are indeed contactable
as advertised?

This type of micromanagement will kill the ARIN policy process
because it draws attention away from things where a change in
policy could actually have a positive impact. Note that I am
in favor of mandating staff to verify POCs annually. I'm just
not in favor of specifying any kind of detail in how they do
it. I trust that that the staff and the Board of Trustees can
understand plain English without having their workplans fed
to them in this level of detail.

--Michael Dillon