[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Recovery Fund

Craig Finseth craig.finseth at state.mn.us
Mon Nov 24 08:56:28 EST 2008

   I'm not so sure about 'slowly'.  <wry grin>

   > Phase 3: No one is willing to part for space without excessive sums of
   >          money and no buyer can afford those sums.  Demand is no longer
   >          met.

   Phase 3a: The cost of 'other alternatives' is less than the cost of "buying"
	     into IPv4 space.  Demand withers.  No 'bids' are being made,
	     because the 'offers' are _all_ "too high".

Phase 3b: A few people with deep pockets start acquiring address space
as it comes up.  Their goal is to constrain the growth of competitors.
If they can keep this up and "we'll get to v6 real soon now...", they
may be able to effectively monopolize the market.

In a resource constrained free market, large players tend to get
larger and small players evaporate.

Craig