[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Recovery Fund

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sun Nov 23 21:57:13 EST 2008

James Hess wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Member Services <info at arin.net> wrote:
>
>> Policy Proposal Name: IPv4 Recovery Fund
>>

> My concern with the proposition is it is also a financial incentive not to return IP space that should be returned.  Why return space now for no incentive, when new more encouraging incentives may be adopted later?

Why incur the costs to return space today for no incentive, even if
there is _no_ possibility of incentives later?  Altruism might be good
enough for engineers, but it doesn't work on most management.

Besides, we all know that an IPv4 black market has existed for years.
The possibility of a white market does not suddenly create an incentive
to hoard; it was already there.  Heck, even ignoring money entirely, the
risk of not being able to get addresses in a few years is enough
incentive to hoard any excess you have now.