[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Recovery Fund / history lesson #1

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Sun Nov 23 16:35:37 EST 2008

On Nov 22, 2008, at 8:36 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]

Someone is definitely stuck on ideological constraints alright; I just
wish there was an easier way to make plain who that someone is.
But since there isn't, and much of your past advocacy work apparently
does not appear on your published "Academic CV"*, I guess we'll have
to do it the hard way.

You've been telling the same story for 25+ years now, Milton, and it
never seems to deviate much, regardless of whether you're talking
about radio, or telecom, or the Internet. I'll resist the strong
temptation and let others judge how well your past predictions and
recommendations have played out over the intervening years.

Of course everyone has a right to their own fundamental convictions.
I guess among my own is the belief that such "ideological constraints"
should be transparent to all when discussing matters of public policy.

TV

*Reference: http://faculty.ischool.syr.edu/mueller/

**denotes a Mueller co/authored reference that is not listed in the
above published "ACADEMIC CV"

note: I can post full-text of all of the articles listed below if
anyone is interest.

+++++

**Milton Mueller (then "Associate Policy Analyst with the Cato
Institute"), "Property Rights In Radio Communication: The Key to the
Reform of Telecommunications Regulation," (CATO Institute Policy
Analysis #11: June 3, 1982). http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=877

+++++

**Milton Mueller, "Privatization of the Airwaves," Reason Foundation
Federal Privatization Project Issues Paper, April 4, 1988.
Cited in Jams L. Gattuso, "Raising Revenues with the Auction Option
for the Telecommunications Spectrum." Heritage Foundation Government
Reform Issues Bulletin #147, May 11, 1989. http://www.heritage.org/Research/GovernmentReform/IB147.cfm

+++++

**Milton Mueller, "Reform of Spectrum Management: Lessons From New
Zealand," Reason Foundation Policy Insight No. 135, November 1991.
http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/energy-utility-law/7256941-1.html
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reform-spectrum-management-Lessons-Zealand/dp/B0006DK5U6

+++++

**Mueller, M. and Schement, J.R., (1995), "Six myths of telephone
penetration: Universal Service from the bottom up."
Cited in Comments of Bell Atlantic in the Matter of CC Docket No.
9645, Federal-State Joint Board on Universal Service (April 12,1996).
http://www.info-ren.org/projects/universal-service/comments/html/33.html

"Public policy on universal phone access has been guided primarily by
the presumption that local access cost is the main disincentive to
service. A new Rutgers University report debunks this and other
assumptions on who is phoneless and why they remain so. The report,
funded by Bell Atlantic, offers a few surprises: Given an either/or
choice, many inner-city households would opt for cable over phone
service."

+++++

Federal Document Clearing House Congressional Testimony (March 1, 1995)
Testimony of Robert W. Poole, Jr., President of the Reason Foundation,
Presented before the House Budget Committee, March 1, 1995
HOUSE BUDGET PRIVATIZING FEDERAL PROGRAMS

"...A growing number of communications analysts now agree that the
existing frequency allocations should be converted to true private
property rights and offered first to those who now hold the relevant
license. Since a majority of all these licenses are today held by
firms which purchased them from someone else (reflecting their
economic value), it would be unjust to charge the current license-
holder the full market value (even if government could accurately
assess what that might be). Analyst Milton Mueller has suggested
instead that incumbents be offered the opportunity to convert their
current frequency license into a true property right for a one-time
fee. Those frequencies whose were incumbents unwilling to pay this fee
would then be auctioned off to the highest bidder. Mueller estimates
that such a procedure would raise $8.6 billion for the Treasury."

+++++

"ECONOMISTS OFFER WARNINGS ON EXPANDING UNIVERSAL SERVICE SUPPORT",
COMMUNICATIONS TODAY (May 2, 1996)

"The public has to decide whether it wants a truly competitive arena
or an "arena where policymakers provide free goodies to
organized constituencies," Milton Mueller, a professor with the
Rutgers University School of Communication, Information and Library
Studies, told a Cato Institute forum on universal service issues
yesterday (5/1)... Mueller said he understands the appeal to
policymakers that want to ensure that people are not left economically
behind because they lack access to the latest infrastructure.  But he
pointed out that it is "impossible for
new services to be available everywhere" as soon as they are
introduced.  "They have to start somewhere and grow," he said, noting
that it took over 100 years to get U.S. telephone subscribership up to
94 percent."

+++++

"NEW ZEALAND NETWORK-OPENING MODEL YIELDED MIXED RESULTS, PANEL SAYS,"
WARREN'S TELECOM REGULATION MONITOR (July 15, 1996).

"New Zealand, considered one of world's most open telecom markets,
dismantled its monopoly network without strong regulatory role, in
sharp contrast to Telecom Act and direction FCC is heading, several
panelists at recent Cato Institute forum said. New Zealand is
considered unique because it's the only developed country, they said,
that has made transition to competitive telecom environment without
strong role by regulatory body such as FCC.

... Mueller said economists view New Zealand as "blank slate in
telecom" where industry has been completely remade according to market
principles. However, he said, agreements signed since market opened in
1991 are "highly unequal" by U.S. standards and favor TNZ. Mueller
said long distance competitor Clear Communications -- partnership that
includes MCI, Bell Canada, New Zealand Rail, TV New Zealand and Todd
Corp. -- signed deal in 1991 and had 18% of market in 1993, Mueller
said. Clear's bargaining power was enhanced because it emerged as only
competitor able to sign agreement.

But agreement falls short of equal access agreements in U.S., Mueller
said, because: (1) Clear's network is more difficult to access; (2)
TNZ "has engaged in practices that would be considered prima facie
anticompetitive in other legal and regulatory environments"; and (3)
Clear gets only 6% discount on TNZ local and toll transport rates.

Mueller said Clear and TNZ's local interconnection talks dragged on
for years, weren't settled in court until March 1996, more than 5
years after negotiations began. He said New Zealand's lack of
regulation meant issue would be settled by courts. Case demonstrated
that govt. intervention is needed only at beginning and that
competition is viable without equal access."

+++++

Tim Knauss,  "NEW CAREER NICHES, JOB OPPORTUNITIES IN
TELECOMMUNICATIONS: AN EXPERT IN THE FIELD SAYS THE INDUSTRY'S NEWEST
BUZZWORD IS DIGITAL CONVERGENCE." The Post-Standard Syracuse, NY
(February 9, 1998).

"Milton Mueller has come to Syracuse to train students for jobs that
may not exist yet, jobs they may even have to create themselves.
Mueller, a national authority on telecommunications policy, signed on
in December to run Syracuse University's Telecommunications and
Network Management program..."

MUELLER: I'm willing to bet that the telephone companies will stop
charging so much for that local line once they realize that that's
their connection to the customer, instead of just being a monopoly
service that people have to have. But the thing we have to understand
is that that level of competition is going to evolve very slowly.

KRAUSS: Why?

MUELLER: Because duplication of this large capital investment is a
slow process. You're building physical plant and you're trying to
extend it to everybody.

KRAUSS: Where will the competition come from?

MUELLER: From a wired basis, it will come from cable companies,
possibly. In fact, that's already happening in some respects. It will
come primarily, I think, from wireless alternatives (such as PCS or
satellite services). And in business districts, it will come from
these new competitive carriers, who are already putting fiber rings
around central business areas and extending connections to
businesses... That's really the bottleneck to competition right now -
the local market.

KRAUSS: What will ease the bottleneck?

MUELLER: I think we just have to be more patient about the development
of these alternative technologies and new infrastructure. ... You
won't see immediate benefits. You won't see 16 new companies jumping
into the market tomorrow and offering local service. Because the only
way to do that would be to resell the existing facilities of the
telephone company. And in the long run, that's not really going to
create much competition.