[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Recovery Fund

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Sat Nov 22 16:27:45 EST 2008

On 22 Nov 2008 Leo Bicknell wrote:

> In a message written on Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 01:25:36PM -0600, Randy Bush wrote:
> > rpki
>
> I admire the work you and others are doing, and I'd like to see it
> move forward.  I have yet to see any reason why it would be sane
> to base a transfer policy on full deployment of RPKI.  The fact of
> the matter is ARIN resource holders do not have RPKI certificates;
> and even if that process were started today the vetting to issue
> certificates to some groups of people (e.g. Legacy Holders) is
> likely to take years.

Why is the vetting needed to issue and RPKI certificate any more or less
than would needed to bless a transfer or the return of a resource?

> At this point I think baseing any transfer policy decisions on the
> existance of RPKI is foolish.

I'd agree with not wanting to link one with the other, but the vetting that is
necessary for transfer, return of resource to ARIN for redistribution, or RPKI
is mostly equivalent.

David Farmer				     Email:	farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota			     Phone:	612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE			     Cell:		612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		     FAX:	612-626-1818