[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Recovery Fund

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Nov 21 15:49:21 EST 2008

In a message written on Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 02:36:25PM -0600, William Herrin wrote:
> Let me suggest a slightly different approach:
[snip]

Our messages crossed in flight I think, so I will quick-reply here
before I sit back for some feedback.

I'm toally willing to discuss alternative bidding strategies.  I've
discussed at least 5 while writing this proposal.  I'm very much
afraid we'll get bogged down in details though, so I'd like to keep
this more high level.

The key points are:

  * Set up to be cost recovery, possibly including ARIN's overhead to
    do this work.
  * Preserve, to the extent possible, first come first served.
  * Provide transparency.
  * Easy for people to understand.

I'd only like to go into pricing format if you consider it to be a
make or break item for your support of this proposal.  We chose a
fairly simple case for the example (straight proportial allocation,
no ARIN overhead) to make it simple.  It would be easy to implement
this with overhead, as a dutch auction (everyone pay lowest winning
price) or a thousand other ways we can sort out of the idea is
solid.