[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Recovery Fund

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Nov 21 15:40:03 EST 2008

I'd like to first put forth the usual disclaimer; as I am Chair of
the AC this proposal does not represent the will of the AC, and
indeed I've only discussed it with a couple of AC members at this
point in time.  This is simply an idea that has come out of my
conversations with a few different people.

I'd also like to provide a little background.  I've spoken with a
number of people who feel like only one possible path to moving
existing IP space between parties has been explored, so called "paid
transfers" directly between parties.  While I'm not sure it is the
only idea that has been explored, it is the only idea that has been
put into a formal policy proposal, as far as I know.

After discussing what other methods might be possible the general
scheme outlined in this proposal floated to the top as one of the
most implementable solutions.  However, even though the people I've
spoken with believe this could be implemented we've gone around in
circles several times on how much, or how little to put in policy.
This version errs on the side of less in policy, giving the staff
more leeway to set operational criteria.  It is easy to craft a
similar version that puts many more specifics in policy, making it
a much longer proposal.

To that end, I would like to direct people to the rational section
and the examples provided of how we believe this should work.
Initially the concept is more important than the actual policy
language; if people like the concept we can adjust the policy
language to suit.