[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Recovery Fund

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Nov 21 15:36:25 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Member Services <info at arin.net> wrote:
> To illustrate the intent of section 4.10.2, let's say that ARIN has
> the following requests in the following order:
>
> 1.      a /22 for XYZ Corp. ($300)
> 2.      a /15 for BIll's Bait and Hosting Megacorp. ($2500)
> 3.      a /19 for John's Host Hideaway ($2000)
> 4.      a /21 for Piner Klerpin's New Net ($800)
>
> Example 1:
> ARIN receives a /18 from someone, but, pays an incentive of
> $2200 for that /18.
>
> ARIN would offer a /19 to John's Host Hideaway for $1100
> ARIN would then satisfy Piner Klerpin's request for $225
> ARIN would then satisfy XYZ Corp's request for $112.50
> ARIN would still have a /20, /21, and /22 for future requests.

Let me suggest a slightly different approach:

The four orgs make those bids to ARIN. ARIN then makes the following
public bids:

$75 for a /24 only if the rest of the /22 CIDR block is held free by ARIN
$150 for a /23 only if the rest of the /22 CIDR block is held free by ARIN
$300 for a /22
$800 for a /21
$1100 for a /20
$2000 for a /19
$3100 for a /18
$3100 for a /17
$3100 for a /16
$3100 for a /15 (which _won't_ be given to Bill's Bait because $3100>$2500)
$5600 for a /14 or anything shorter.

As soon as someone accepts one of these bids and sells space back to
ARIN, these offers are retracted and new ones published based on the
remaining demand. The difference in money folks pay per address is
reflected in the place they claim in the queue. Any addresses left
over from a buy will go to anyone who bids at least as much per
address as the most expensive person in the buy. These relatively
random infusions fund ARIN's administrative overhead for this payment
system.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004