[arin-ppml] 8.4 Emergency Transfer Policy for IPv4 Addresses - Continued

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Thu Nov 20 18:39:55 EST 2008

Without taking a position for or against this policy, I have an observation.

BillD at cait.wustl.edu ("Bill Darte") writes:

> ****************************
> 8.4 Emergency Transfer Policy for IPv4 Addresses
>
> For a period of 3 years from policy implementation, ARIN-region number
> resources may be released, in whole or in part, to ARIN or another
> organization, by the authorized holder of the resource.
>
> Number resources may only be received under RSA, with demonstrated need,
> in the exact amount which they are able to justify under ARIN
> resource-allocation policies.
>
> Rationale:

Since a contract is not valid unless it has at least two parties, and ARIN
is one party to all RSA's, it necessarily follows that if a resource is
"released, ..., to ARIN" then it cannot also be "received under RSA".  For
reasons of sequitur, if the policy intends that a resource be releaseable
to ARIN, then this circumstance ought to be made exempt from the RSA
requirement.
--
Paul Vixie