[arin-ppml] Is this more desired than aTransferPolicy? Needinput

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed Nov 19 12:42:51 EST 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 5:37 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> But, over the long term, that's something else.  I have worked at
> many prior corporate employers where the marketing people forced
> the IT people to deploy the newest version of MS Office - because
> the marketing people liked the interface better.  That expense dwarfs
> an IPv6 rollout expense but orgs will do it because the users get

I'm sorry, Ted, but I've spent 20 years as a consultant with companies
doing mostly network upgrades, but also changes like OS upgrades and
software package upgrades across the enterprise.  Your expression
above about an Office upgrade dwarfing the cost of a network redesign
has no match in my experience.

There are good packages designed for upgrading software throughout the
enterprise.  Most large companies use these, and could do this rollout
overnight after the month of testing and evaluation for the new build
go into place.

The comparative cost of doing the application conformance tests alone,
assuming all of their switches, routers and firewalls are already IPv6
compliant, dwarfs that cost.

And consider Ted.  Most companies do MS Office upgrades every 2
years.   They are quite comfortable with this kind of upgrade.  They
have no experience upon which to take on an IPv6 upgrade.

PLEASE people.  Stop thinking that just because IP networking is old
hat to you, and that "software" are tools you use to manage your
router - which have supported IPv6 for years, means that your average
network admin or their software developer have even started
considering what they need to do for IPv6.  Because neither one has, I
assure you.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek