[arin-ppml] Is this more desired than aTransferPolicy? Needinput

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Nov 18 18:40:11 EST 2008

Making statements like "me against the rest of you" isn't productive.
It so happens that I have been "on" the Internet since the early 80's,
and in fact I ran UUCP for mail for a number of years as well as
Netware 3.  I even ran cc:Mail-UUCP gateway at one company I worked
for, if you want to have a contest in what's the ugliest non-IP
software package you've worked on.

> No business runs out and does a massive investment in new
> infrastructure without some cost basis for doing it.  Very few
> businesses have a cost basis for making this change right now, and I
> doubt that this is going to change many minds until very, very deep
> into IPv4 exhaustion.

IPv6 does not require a "massive investment in new infrastructure"
IMHO.  All Windows XP and Vista and MacOS X
systems are IPv6 compliant.  Virtually all REAL routers (ie: Cisco, Juniper)
can be made IPv6 compliant with modest upgrades.  And don't go defending
people's ability to use little POS routers like Linksys jobbies that
cost under $100.  Those are throw-away-and-buy-new-ones scenarios.
Cable and DSL modems that have integrated NAT's can be switched into
bridged mode and a IPv6 router can be placed behind them.

And finally, leaf-node businesses that have a SINGLE connection to
the Internet can replace their existing firewall (that most likely
uses NAT) with a newer one that runs IPv4<->IPv6 proxying, so
they won't even have to bother changing anything.  And that describes
just about every business in the US that has under 200 employees.
(which is the majority of businesses in the US)

Please outline some REASONABLE scenarios that are WIDELY applicable
that you feel would require massive upgrades in new infrastructure.

Your post is an excellent example of why EDUCATION on IPv6 should
be made a priority.

Ted