[arin-ppml] Is this more desired than a Transfer Policy? Need input

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu Nov 13 21:06:35 EST 2008

It was my understanding that ARIN's official position was that all address
space allocated,
including legacy space, is valid, and as such it's impossible for abandonded
IP space to
even exist at all.

For non-legacy space, continued payments from the orgs that were allocated
that space
should be evidence of validity.  Thus, this embryonic proposal really only
concerns the
legacy holders.

In my view this is a fundamental chance to the status of the so-called
Legacy IP numbers.

I feel that by labeling this NRPM the way you are doing, you are attempting
to sidestep
the issue of Legacy Holders currently having special dispensation at ARIN.

While I am not opposed to reclamation of abandonded numbers, I would prefer
that before
ARIN launches into modifying the NRPM to include "abandonded IP numbering"
language,
that the NRPM was modified to more specifically define the responsibilities
of the Legacy
Holders to ARIN.

There seems to be a lot of disagreement as to that ARIN owes the Legacy
Holders and
what the Legacy Holders owe ARIN at this time.  Could we make these
obligations
more transparent in the NRPM before giving a blank check to ARIN to launch
into abandonment
investigations?

Ted