[arin-ppml] Snarl: Using ARIN Contacts to report abuse.

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Mon Nov 3 11:51:26 EST 2008

I am increasingly seeing that abuse-related comments are going to our
ARIN whois info contacts instead of abuse@<domain>. ...this seems to be
the new thing....I guess they figure that this way they'll get someone,
since these addresses are explicitly listed, where abuse@<domain> is one
of the implicitly (by RFC standard) required, but not always incarnated

Damn.  This is one of those expedient, but wrong way to do things, but
everyone is adopting it.

It's fortunate that I made the contacts symbolic aliases (iptech,
ipadmin, ipbill) instead of actual people's names.  At least this way we
can send it to multiple people...otherwise, if it was going to an actual
user, we'd have to rely on that person to fwd..........which wouldn't
happen when they were on vacation.

<snarl>
--
==== Once upon a time, the Internet was a friendly,
neighbors-helping-neighbors small town, and no one locked their doors.