[arin-ppml] FW: Policy Proposal: Equitable Distribution ofIPv4Resources before IPv4 Run out

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Fri May 23 11:30:18 EDT 2008

Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> If you deny large companies allocations, just because they are large,
> some will try and get around the rules. This can be done in many ways.
> Companies can set up front companies, fund small companies and then
> acquire them just after they get allocations, have employees set up
> subsidiaries that appear independent but aren't, etc., etc.

One other, more legitimate, response to such a restriction would be that
large NSPs would require all their downstreams to get space directly
from ARIN.  That would result in a lot more routes in the routing table
than we'd see if the same amount of space were given out as one big
chunk to the provider, who in turn reassigned it to their downstreams,
but only announced the aggregate.

This will only apply to large address holders whose customers are large
enough to qualify to get space from ARIN.  That wouldn't include
end-user ISPs like the cable and DSL providers, but it would include all
the "tier 1" large NSPs.  And since many of the end-user ISPs share
common ownership with large NSPs, you can bet that if such a restriction
were adopted, the NSP part of the business would immediately switch to
requiring their customers to get space from ARIN to keep as much space
available to individual end-users as possible.

TANSTAAFL

-Scott