[arin-ppml] Proposed Petition Process for New PDP -- Comments Due 9May

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri May 9 10:56:03 EDT 2008

In a message written on Fri, May 09, 2008 at 08:59:14AM -0400, Alexander, Daniel wrote:
> I think this is overly complicated, and the petition process
> should not be involved in this step. This is because the petition
> process should not be required for an originator to get a proposal
> presented to the AC, that they elected to represent the community.
> While the experience of ARIN staff is extremely valuable, it is
> contradictory to the bottom up process that staff have the ability
> to deny a community proposal, even if the petition process is
> available. It just paints an awkward picture.

My understand of the reason for this step was to make sure staff
understood the proposal.  They would make no evaluation of the merit
of the proposal, simply if they understood the proposal as written.

The idea being of course, if staff doesn't understand the proposal
it makes little sense for everyone else to spend time debating it
since one of two outcomes is likely, it will be rewritten so staff
can understand it, or it would be passed and staff would have no
idea how to implement it as they don't understand it.

That said, if the alternative you propose is that the staff performs
their review (15 day window) and then simply sends the proposal to
the AC with "we understand it" or "we don't understand it" and the
AC uses that as one of the inputs to the decision to accept or
reject the proposal then I could support that as well.  The most likely
outcome to me though is that it results in a delay to the authors,
rather than the staff sending back e-mail in the 15 day window saying
"we don't understand" it will have to wait for the next AC meeting for
the AC to say "we reject the proposal because the staff can't understand
it".  Not a huge worry on my part, but something to point out.