[arin-ppml] Proposed Petition Process for New PDP -- Comments Due 9 May

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu May 8 12:04:00 EDT 2008

In a message written on Thu, May 08, 2008 at 08:39:48AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> While I realize this overview isn't policy, I do think that we should
> find a
> way to clarify the meaning of "staff/legal assessments before
> discussion".

Perhaps:

  staff/legal assessments before discussion of a formal policy
  proposal

I think the bit that is unclear here is that the proposal (and
existing IRPEP) handle the process by which proposals get a formal
number (e.g. 2008-1) and how, once they have that number, formal
discussion is handeled; both on PPML and at the meeting.

That process needs to be relatively formal to insure that all parties
get to discuss fairly.

However, it's also essentially orthogonal to the informal discussion
process.  PPML, Open Policy Hour, and the Open Mike all allow
discussion of things that do not have formal numbers, and there is
no proposal on the table to change any of those three venues.

In summary, the processes look like:

    Today                          Proposed
1.  Informal Discussion            Informal Discussion
2.  Submission to policy at arin.net  Submission to policy at arin.net
3.  IRPEP Kicks In                 Newly Proposed PDP Kicks In

Another alternative would be to add at the top of the policy something
like:

  Prior to submitting a policy to policy at arin.net submitters are
  encouraged to discuss ideas on PPML, during the open policy hour,
  or at the open mike during the public policy meeting.