[arin-ppml] Legacy Space authority (fwd)

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri May 2 17:57:52 EDT 2008

In a message written on Fri, May 02, 2008 at 05:44:11PM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
> Legacy's got their space from the government. So did the RIRs. Those
> blocks are intangible property, just exactly like domain names.

There was a time when you could get a domain name by sending off
an e-mail, much like early legacy assignments.  Somewhere along the
line a contract was imposed, fees were established, and a UDRP was
created.  As far as I know unless you agreed and started to pay the
fees your domain name was dropped from the system.

If Legacy blocks are "just exactly like domain names" then I would
assume you feel the same could happen with legacy blocks.  A contract
could be imposed, fees established, and a dispute procedure created.

I suppose the only sticking point is who, ARIN, IANA, ICANN, US
Government?