[ppml] Policy to help the little guys

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Thu Mar 20 12:11:21 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 08:23:11AM -0400, Joe Maimon wrote:

> David Williamson wrote:
> >On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 01:03:31PM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
> >
> >>The main problem with PI assignments is the systemic cost of
> >>announcing a BGP prefix ( http://bill.herrin.us/network/bgpcost.html
> >>). If you look at the things from a different perspective, the problem
> >>is the lack of mechanisms by which the 27000 active AS's can recover
> >>the BGP cost directly from the folks announcing a prefix.
> >

> >Can you explain to me how a PI /24 would be in any way different from
> >an otherwise identical PA /24?
>
> In theory, filtering on RIR boundaries should be much safer if
> multihoming with smaller prefixes was done with PA space.

So, you simply repeated the assertion I was questioning, but with the
words "in theory" in front of it.  Please explain this theory, as I'm
not familiar with it.  (Or provide a reference, please.)  If you can
show that there is a real and useful difference between PA and PI,
well, that would be news to several folks on this list, including me.
That might change the nature of some of the discussions.

I look forward to an explanation of this theory.  Thanks!

-David