[ppml] Policy to help the little guys

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Mar 20 06:02:57 EDT 2008

> Your assertion seems to imply that any org like mine isn't
> paying it's fair share, but we would be with the exact same
> setup in PA space.  In other words, if we got space from one
> of our upstreams, we'd magically be paying our share.

The argument boils down to the fact that smaller ISPs announcing into
the DFZ, have not been able to achieve the same economies of scale as
larger ISPs, therefore these smaller ISPs are unfairly pushing the
costs onto the larger ISPs.

I don't buy that argument, by the way.

In addition, people seem to think that if the larger ISPs were able
to impose a centrally-managed economy for DFZ announcements, this
would be overall, more efficient than the current regime. However
they are forgetting to account for the costs of the central management
regime itself. Past experience with both communist economies, and
with telco billing infrastructure, shows that the costs of the central
management regime often can and do far outweigh the benefits that
they achieve.

--Michael Dillon