[ppml] Policy to help the little guys

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed Mar 19 20:18:14 EDT 2008

On Mar 19, 2008, at 3:27 PM, William Herrin wrote:
> Personally, I'm more interested in looking for creative solutions to
> the BGP cost problem that would moot the whole PI/PA issue than I am
> rehashing the semi-annual "PI folks are treated unfairly" debate.
> Suppose you did something like this:
>
> 1. ARIN takes a /16 and lets it be known that only /25 or longer PI
> prefixes will be assigned from this /16 (nothing /24 or shorter).
> 5. Each year, ARIN solicits bids for an ISP to serve as a "catchall"
> tunnel broker for the whole /16. The tunnel broker announces the whole
> /16 and (if you pay him) then tunnels any traffic to you via GRE in

FYI I see nothing about this proposal that requires ARIN.  It could
be implemented by any current or future holder of /16 or whatever
size space.  It sounds like an ingenious marketing opportunity that
if implemented in advance could become really valuable when IPv4
exhaustion occurs.   Why don't you do this?

Note: I'm not being sarcastic, but I do think it's overly complex for
the required goal and likely won't be accepted by a majority of the
market because they couldn't figure out how to debug it.  But hey,
assuming I'm wrong you get the best I Told You So, one you can use
all the way to the bank.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek