[ppml] Policy to help the little guys

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed Mar 19 19:55:53 EDT 2008

On Mar 18, 2008, at 11:59 PM, David Williamson wrote:
> If my site has no useful interaction with somewhereistan,
> I can simply block the short prefixes from them.  Or, at a higher
> level, I could just block all of the /8s associated with a specific
> RIR, based on my business model/needs.  On the flip side, I could
> accept a bunch of /28s or /29s from sites important to me.
>
> All it would take is some hard to maintain filters.

One assumes you are no longer using those purple boxes in
production?  Because the memory usage of a blocked route and the
memory usage of an accepted route are identical in that case.
Filtering the prefixes won't help you there.

It's not as bad, but nearly so with Cisco last time I checked.

So if we accept a /16 of /29 routes, you're looking at adding 8192k
new entries to the table.  Most of our peers are currently
advertising 244k routes to us.  That brings it to 252k routes, which
is very *very* near the max table size of most production equipment
out there.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek