[ppml] Policy to help the little guys

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Wed Mar 19 14:41:26 EDT 2008

Randy Bush wrote:
> David Williamson wrote:
>> If you can get a PA /24 for multi-homing, and anyone can, why can't
>> you get PI?
>
> as a gedanken experiment, and maintaining my reputation as a notorious
> trouble-maker, why not longer than /24?  e.g. take a /16 and create a
> well-known micro-swamp of say /29s for multi-homed content sites.
>
> i am not necessarily advocating this.  but i think the exercise of
> discussing the pros and cons might be good for us.

I can think of a few reasons to stop at /24 for now, but I think the
most important is that IMO policy shouldn't force ISPs to liberalize
filter policy, but rather should respond to it.  To date, most ISPs
accept PA /24's, so allowing PI blocks down to /24 won't change things
much.  But giving out PI blocks smaller than /24 would create a lot of
additional pressure on ISPs to accept the smaller blocks.

I would rather focus on matching PI policy to what ISPs have already
demonstrated they're ok with for PA space, rather than having PI lead
the way.  If ISPs decide in a year or two to start relaxing the /24
boundary, then I think it would be appropriate to adjust the PI minimum
as well.

-Scott