[ppml] Policy to help the little guys

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Wed Mar 19 13:49:14 EDT 2008

On Mar 19, 2008, at 11:03 AM, William Herrin wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> The main problem with PI assignments is the systemic cost of
> announcing a BGP prefix
> http://bill.herrin.us/network/bgpcost.html

If you boil this down you get something like:

bgp_route_cost == (router_cost / num_dfz_prefixes)

If it were only that simple.  You're assuming single FIB routers,
no interconnection devices, disregarding number and speed
of ports, inter-domain devices, that folks actually amortize and
toss after 36 months, et cetera, etc, etc...

I'm certainly not an economist (though I do have a background
similar to many of those here who now believe they are), but
I think trivializing in such a manner is a bit disingenuous.

-danny