[ppml] Markets, pricing, transparency, 2008-2 / 8.3.9

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Mar 18 21:38:37 EDT 2008

>> our "self regulation" has led to 75% of recent allocations going to just
>> ten organizations (and they keep merging!)
> I don't think the reasons that ten organizations in the ARIN region
> have 90%+ of the eyeballs has anything to do with IP allocation
> policies.  Phone and cable companies had a monopoly on wires in the
> ground prior to the IP thing being of interest.  I am disappointed
> that the Internet wasn't able to change that, but that was a long
> shot anyway.

if we really were a pubic policy planning culture, we would have at
least had the conversation of whether ip resources should have been
allocated proportionally to wealth, or whether they should have been
tilted toward new entry, rural, poor, ...  even the telco industry had
that conversation, and it resulted in universal service, not to hold
that up as an ideal trade-off from a modern perspective.

what might have been decided is certainly open to endless, and
questionably productive, conjecture.  but it is extremely notable that
we did not have the discussion.

randy