[ppml] IANA and the great unwashed... or - 2008-2 / 8.3.9

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Tue Mar 18 17:12:28 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 12:32:23AM -0400, John Curran wrote:

> ... [as] much as a failing (of those who have more address space than
> they require) not returning the excess to the IANA.
>
> /John

	interesting assertion (and based on RFC 2050, seems to be
	the course of action one should take...) however, I have
	also heard that the IANA is not prepared to accept anything
	smaller than their current allocation size - and the number of
	IPv4 /8 prefixes is a small and (mostly) known quantity.

	would the IANA be willing to take back a sparse matrix of
	IPv4 /28's from my /20 delegation or would they encourage
	me to use my RIR, with whom I already have a relationship?
	If they were willing to take them back, would they need to
	establish a relationship with me so that I could accrue
	"credits" and/or establish my credentials?

	I'm pretty convinced that the IANA really does not want
	any part of a relationship where they deal directly with
	the address delegate... they like having a relationship
	with the RIR's in the form of the NRO letters.  Too many
	direct relationships could/would prove messy... IMHO of course.

	perhaps you could ask the IANA to weigh in on this matter.

--bill