[ppml] Markets, pricing, transparency, 2008-2 / 8.3.9

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Mar 17 12:32:53 EDT 2008

This got me thinking a bit, thanks Randy and Tom, I was hoping to avoid
doing that today :)

At least one supposed source of address that I've heard talked about in this
is Legacy Holders.  Many Legacy holders are end user entities, yes there
are other types of entities, but lets discuss end user entities for a moment.  It
is possible that a end user would enter into a cash transaction, then your
pricing and transparency questions are probably valid.  However, it is also
possible that an end user might prefer to enter into a barter transaction, this
could be for any number of non-cash considerations, or a combination of
cash and non-cash considerations.

An easy example would be an end user trading address-space with an ISP
for service.  However, there are many other possibilities.  In this case what
value should be recorded?  The retail value of the service, or the marginal
cost of the providing the service by the ISP?  The cost to the buyer or the
value to the seller, which may or may not be exactly the same.

Another example would be a end user group transferring address space to
another end user group for no cost at all and with no expectation other than
community good.  Further these transactions may or may not take place
through a listing service.  It would be a shame if we only think about the
market in terms of cash transactions, especially given the longer term
history of the Internet community.  Please leave room for the better angles
too.

The later example probablly doesn't need to be accounted for within the
market, it is probablly outside the market anyway, but barter transactions
should be accounted for in some way within the market.

David Farmer				Email:	farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota			Phone:	612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE			Cell:	612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		FAX:	612-626-1818