[ppml] Markets, pricing, transparency, 2008-2 / 8.3.9

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Mar 17 04:04:36 EDT 2008

Tom Vest wrote:
> For goals that they ["members"] don't support, artificial incentives
> have to be large, and penalties severe, and even so the compliance
> rate is likely to be low.

please reconcile this with the flags we salute and tout, bottom-up and
self-regulation.

if there are goals the members do not support, then whose goals are
they?  do you mean to imply that there likely exist societal goods which
the membership does not support?  if so, what is the implication for the
sustainability of our supposedly bottom-up model of self-regulation?

being raised on the west side of the cascades and coast range, i kinda
like models which expect water to flow downhill, and being lazy, i try
to avoid designing systems where it needs to flow uphill.

what's the easy stuff here?  i keep saying, set up an ebay-like system.
run by a fourth party, not buyers and sellers or the registries.  make
the product, bidding, and prices visible.  make it easy for buyers to be
sure sellers actually have the right to sell.  associate with an escrow
service.

sorry, i'm from ops.

randy