[ppml] 2008-2 IPv4 transfer policy

Cliff Bedore cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com
Fri Mar 14 09:20:30 EDT 2008

Scott Leibrand wrote:
> Cliff,
>
> Would 2008-2 do what you want if the "ARIN will create a listing
> service" and related text were removed?
>
> -Scott

Scott
Not without additional changes. I'll list them below

Delete the following from 8.3.1

• The transferor has not received any IPv4 allocations or assignments
from ARIN (through ordinary allocations or assignments, or through this
Simple Transfer policy) within the preceding 24 months.
• The transferor may not request any IPv4 allocations or assignments
from ARIN (through ordinary allocations or assignments, or through this
Simple Transfer policy) within the subsequent 24 months.

Rationale At the time these changes would be valid, things will likely
be changing rapidly and businesses will need flexibility to meet
business requirements without being hamstrung by unneeded regulation by ARIN

Delete the following from 8.3.2

• The transferee has not provided any IPv4 addresses for transfer
through this Simple Transfer process within the preceding 24 months.
• The transferee may not provide any IPv4 addresses for transfer through
this Simple Transfer process within the subsequent 24 months, except in
the case of business failure.
• The transferee may request and receive a contiguous CIDR block large
enough to provide a 12 month supply of IPv4 addresses.
• The transferee may only receive one IPv4 address transfer through this
Simple Transfer process every 6 months.

Rationale Same s for 8.3.1 above. I guess I think the market and
business requirements should dictate requirements. I think that ARIN
could use a fee structure to slow down excessive transfers.

8.3.5 Change the words "must seek" to "may seek" pre-qualification. or
delete the section entirely.

Rationale. It shouldn't matter to ARIN if the requests are pre-qualified
or not since ARIN would not be involved in anything regarding finding
addresses for sale or wanted. The same amount of work will be involved
in either case.

8.3.8 It seems like this should be covered by existing policy or it
seems to be expanding ARIN's role in a company's business operations.
Again this may not be a good idea considering this is at a time when
companies need to be more nimble in their ability to use IPv4.

8.3.9 Obviously delete this section. The requirements of the second and
third paragraphs should be covered by existing policy/procedures.

After all the discussions on this, I guess my opinion is that it's
better to have ARIN retain loose control and at least keep track of what
changes are being made rather than have tight controls that will be
ignored which will cause greater chaos as IPv4 winds down.

Hope this makes sense to people.

Cliff