[ppml] Restrictions on transferor deaggregation in 2008-2: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Mar 11 15:23:28 EDT 2008

      On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Scott Leibrand wrote:
    > One item that I still think needs further discussion is the question of
    > whether and how to restrict transferor deaggregation in an IPv4 Transfer
    > Policy.  The question is, should we place restrictions on both the
    > transferee and transferor to limit deaggregation, or would a more
    > limited set of restrictions be sufficient?

It is not in the interests of the Internet community to put any
limitations whatsoever on transferors.  Doing so would restrict supply,
which we don't want, since, all else being equal, it raises the cost of
the addresses.

We do want to place restrictions on the tranferees, since doing so
restricts demand, which, all else being equal, lowers the cost of the
addresses.

                                -Bill