[ppml] NANOG IPv4 Exhaustion BoF

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Mar 7 11:11:48 EST 2008

Joe,

On Mar 7, 2008, at 6:16 AM, Joe Maimon wrote:
> This would actually be a best case scenario, where access to ipv4
> internet is through ipv4 nat, but ipv6 is end-to-end.

While I might agree, the tricky bit is having IPv6 end-to-end.  This
is obviously neither plentiful nor cheap at this point in time and if
ISPs aren't paying attention to longer term realities of IPv4
exhaustion, this won't change.

> The situation for content providers is likely a bit more problematic
> than for ISP's.

Yep.  I imagine it is hard for content providers to make the business
case to even look at IPv6 right now. And if content isn't available
over IPv6, few ISP customers will ask for it, making it hard for ISPs
to make their business case.  And around we go.

Regards,
-drc