[ppml] NANOG IPv4 Exhaustion BoF

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Thu Mar 6 23:03:05 EST 2008

Tom Vest wrote:

> I believe that there are still credible alternatives to a
> decentralized market that could do better on all of the important
> short-term fronts: sustain some level of IPv4 liquidity (mostly for
> new entrants, 6/4 gateways, xTRs, etc.), keep the industry open to
> new entrants, preserve needs-based allocation principles, preserve
> the central registry function, resist internal manipulation and
> external intervention, etc. -- to basically do all of the things
> necessary to sustain an orderly, incremental, self-governed (i.e.,
> "successful") transition. For me that is the only goal that matters.

I think we agree on the goal, but I'm not aware of the credible
alternatives of which you speak.  Could you enumerate some of them so we
can discuss whether there are truly viable alternatives to a market?  A
lot of us are advocating a market approach because we don't see any
better alternatives.

Thanks,
Scott