[ppml] NANOG IPv4 Exhaustion BoF

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Thu Mar 6 16:43:33 EST 2008

Tom Vest wrote:

> Anyone who assumes the kind of operator behavior that makes markets
> absolutely inevitable, should also assume that hoarding for
> profiteering or simply to keep down the competition will be the norm.
> Anyone who assumes the kind of operator behavior that makes markets
> absolutely inevitable, should also assume that any countervailing
> rules that can be easily bypassed without consequence (i.e.,
> "ineffective" rules) will be ignored.

But whats the goal here Tom?

We all share a common view that post unallocated pool exhaustion there
will be aa period where demand outstrips supply and in a market
situation the price of IPv4 escalates, while the price of IPv6 remains
relative constant and relatively insignificant. Ultimately consumers are
exposed to the price differential as is conventional when prices of
supply shift, and it is reasonable to anticipate that most consumders
would express a preference for a lower priced service.

Perhaps the objective here is NOT "to try and construct a perfect Ipv4
market". Perhaps it is more along the lines of "to try and expose some
basic economic signals about the relative scarcity of Ipv4 and Ipv6
addresses to provide more direct and focussed impetus for industry-wide
IPv6 adoption"

Geoff