[ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-2: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Jim Weyand jweyand at computerdata.com
Thu Mar 6 12:21:44 EST 2008

Scott-

Sorry about the delay, I know you are under time pressure.  This is in
response to your post on Tuesday, 03-04-08.

> I agree completely.  Perhaps one way to address your concerns would be
> to look to NRPM section 4.6 Amnesty Requests
> (http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four6), and include text in the
> transfer policy to accomplish similar objectives.
>
> But the more I look at it, the more I wonder if the same objective
could
> be accomplished more simply by striking the words ", or through this
> Simple Transfer policy" from the condition that "The transferor may
not
> request any IPv4 allocations or assignments from ARIN (through
ordinary
> allocations or assignments, or through this Simple Transfer policy)
> within the subsequent 24 months."   Under the standard transferee
> conditions, any subsequent requests to receive IPv4 addresses through
> this Simple Transfer policy would have to be justified and
> pre-qualified, just as with any other potential transferee.

As I understand you this will at least allow an ISP that sold address
space and then found themselves short, to buy more.  If that is your
intent then I believe this is a very good idea.

> The only thing this doesn't address is the desire to allow someone to
> get and renumber into a smaller block (say /20) and then transfer
their
> larger block (say /16).  Under the current proposed policy, such an
> organization would be able to keep the first or last /20 out of their
> /16, and transfer the remaining /17, /18, /19, and /20.  While I could
> see a renumbering being slightly better, I think the existing policy
is
> adequate, so I'm not sure if we need to allow people to renumber into
> completely different block, and deal with all the complexities of
timing
> that entails.

OK, it is probably more of a technology issue and I really brought it up
as an example of the unintended consequences of the proposed market
constraints.

Once again thank you for your patience and taking on a leadership role
in this discussion.

-Jim Weyand