[ppml] NANOG IPv4 Exhaustion BoF

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Mar 5 18:02:20 EST 2008

Scott,

On Mar 5, 2008, at 12:54 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote:
> Do you have any suggestions for how we can improve the policy
> proposal to eliminate unnecessary restrictions while avoiding the
> negative impacts likely from a completely unrestricted transfer
> policy?

What are 'negative impacts'?

I have a couple more fundamental questions:

a) What is the overarching goal the transfer policy is trying to
achieve?

b) What tools exist (or can be expected to exist given reasonable time/
resources) to enforce that policy?

The answers to these questions would shape my answer.

A couple of observations:

- the 6 month restriction could force folks to go outside the policy
in desperation (e.g., the amount of address space available via
transfers is likely to be hard to predict.  You could be in a
situation where at one point in time, the only option is a small block
even though you know it won't last 6 months.  What option do you have?)

- restrictions on sub-division beyond what is imposed within the
routing system are unlikely to be effective

Regards,
-drc