[ppml] NANOG IPv4 Exhaustion BoF

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Mar 4 16:01:23 EST 2008

Hi,

On Mar 4, 2008, at 9:27 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Leo Bicknell made the point that without this policy or something

> like it, the world becomes set in stone after IPv4 runout.  Haves
> have and have nots have not and there's no way for that to change.

To be blunt, this strikes me as astoundingly hallucinatory.

Without some form of transfer policy, ARIN simply becomes irrelevant
as address consumers go to the "black" market in order to meet their
requirements.

With a transfer policy, ARIN _may_ retain some relevance as a source
of "title" information, but a lot depends on the restrictions ARIN
attempts to impose.  Make the policy too restrictive, and people will
go elsewhere.

In the end, with or without a transfer policy, you're still out of
"free" IPv4 addresses and businesses will do what they feel is
necessary to get around unenforceable bureaucratic rules.

Regards,
-drc