[ppml] NANOG IPv4 Exhaustion BoF

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue Mar 4 14:13:27 EST 2008

> 		Generally, the expectation is that the listing
> 		service data will be as open and public as possible
> 		with the intent of allowing as much information as
> 		possible to potential transferors/transferees prior
> 		to engaging in the process.

Will this be a real-time listing service to minimise the risk
that an insider would have access to data about available blocks
before the general public?

If so, then that is considered to be an OTC (Over-The-Counter) bulletin
board and it may be subject to SEC regulation, depending on just
what is being traded. It seems to me that the IP address contracts
being traded might be considered to be some kind of OTC derivative.
Since the traders in this market would not be considered to be
sophisticated
investors by the SEC, this could fall under one of the Congressional
Acts
that regulate trading under the jurisdiction of the SEC.

> 		Nobody present at the BoF was prepared or qualified
> 		to speak on behalf of ARIN from a legal perspective.

Is ARIN Counsel qualified to speak about the legal ramifications
as far as the SEC are concerned? Not all lawyers deal with all
areas of law.

> There were several questions about likely efficacy and
> whether this policy would actually accomplish anything.

Indeed!

> Leo Bicknell made the point that without this policy or
> something like it, the world becomes set in stone after IPv4
> runout.

That's funny, I though that change was the only constant in
our universe. Now you want to convince me that IPv4 runout is
such a momentous event that it will change the laws of the
universe!?

> Haves have and have nots have not and there's no way
> for that to change.

Companies will build out IPv6 networks and eventually begin
retiring their IPv4 addresses. And as far as the "have nots"
are concerned, there is no law preventing them from simply
carving up 126/8, a large block that was given to a Japanese
cable company. Or any other large block that seems relatively
unused on the North American Internet.

--Michael Dillon