[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transferpolicy: whythetriggerdate?

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Wed Jun 25 12:59:15 EDT 2008

I don't presume to speak for Tom or to interpret ETNO, but I
can offer some theories.
Predictability is of great value to large companies.  ETNO
explains. . .

--
Principle 2 Development of a market for IP addresses (legal or illegal)
should be discouraged.

I would further speculate that pricing stability in particular is
valuable to large companies, and if they began having to
pay (possibly at inflated speculator prices) for a number resource
that is currently negligibly cheap, it would be disruptive.

> **When the .net TLD was up for renewal, the OECD recommended
> auctioning it off. Some people objected that such a procedure
> would mean that .net would surely be re-assigned to VeriSign
> because "it had the most money."
> Then, VeriSign came out publicly with a news release strongly
> opposing auctions and insisting that only a beauty contest
> oriented around "stability and security" could possibly
> assign .net to the right operator. And what do you know, a
> few months later .net was reassigned to VeriSign, because of
> its "importance to the security of the Internet infrastructure..."

If VeriSign would win either way, why would they choose the
expensive auction path?

I don't mean to suggest the I endorse either ETNO or VeriSign
positions or actions.  I only mean to offer the perspective
that it is possible to hold two viewpoints without being
inconsistent.

Lee