[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transferpolicy: whythetriggerdate?

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Tue Jun 24 09:55:15 EDT 2008

There is also the matter of asymmetrical dependence and bargaining
power (detailed ad nauseam last week).

Unless something changes, on the day after free pool exhaustion and
every day thereafter, "incumbent" IPv4-based networks will be able to
unilaterally decide whether/when they want to be transparently
interoperable with native IPv6 networks, and they will be able to
unilaterally act to make that possible, e.g., by going dual-stack,
renumbering, or operating a symmetrical 6/4 gateway.

Unless something changes, on the day after free pool exhaustion and
every day thereafter, new IPv6-only networks will need to interoperate
with the universe of incumbent IPv4 networks. However, they will NOT
be able to unilaterally act to make that possible as long as that
requires at least some IPv4, which at that point will only available
from those incumbent networks, or from "pure speculators".

That asymmetry is what will drive the price of IPv4 up and up, and
that increasing profit potential and bargaining power -- which is just
an artifact of the lingering IPv4 bottleneck between new IPv6 networks
and everything still accessible only via IPv4 -- is what will
incentivize incumbent IPv4 networks/IPv4 dealers to delay their own
shift to transparent interoperability for as long as possible.

Aspiring to be the last-mover will be the only rational strategy in
the environment that an IPv4 resource transfer market will create.

But maybe rationality will take a holiday :-\

TV