[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transferpolicy: whythetriggerdate?

Robert E. Seastrom ppml at rs.seastrom.com
Tue Jun 24 07:59:53 EDT 2008

<michael.dillon at bt.com> writes:

>> As with many other technologies, there is a substantial
>> last-mover advantage to going dual-stack or single-v6.
>
> On what do you base this opinion?

I base it on the fact that technologies mature, that the cost to
support goes way way down as the average joe becomes more familiar
with it and it becomes less dodgy and idiosyncratic.  Remember the joy
of supporting customers who were running Trumpet Winsock or MacSLIP?
If you want to relive those days, chase your customers into
single-stack v6.

These days, in the home gateway department for instance, we are in the
flint knives and bearskins era when it comes to IPv6 support.  Some of
us choose to run v6 and offer it to our customers anyway, but the guy
who leaves the business on the table for now and picks it up after
others have blazed the table may be making a smarter business
decision.  Of course, we get a bunch of intangibles like early
experience etc.  The stockholders probably don't care.

                                        ---Rob