[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transfer policy: why the triggerdate?

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue Jun 24 05:30:10 EDT 2008

> if what they need to do is create new endpoints that need
> global reachability to existing endpoints, then deploying
> ipv6 is all cost no benefit.  the cases where someone only
> needs limited reachability to themselves and their partners
> is generally being handled with IPv4 RFC1918 space today, and
> while ipv6 makes that better, the betterness in that case
> does not relieve any pressure on the
> non-RFC1918 ipv4 pool.

You are looking at the problem in black and white. But there
are more than two flavours of networking. In the grey area are
lots of networks which interconnect with some limited set of
other autonomous networks in an IP internetwork. Because it is
an internetwork, not a private network, they need to use globally
unique IP addresses. However, if these people move to IPv6, then
they don't have to wrestle with the global Internet connectivity
problem.

As for the cost benefit issue, sometimes you just have to see the
writing on the wall and realize that you will have to spend money
sooner or later. The benefit that you get for your cost outlay is
that you get to stay in the network game. Otherwise, save your money
and shut down your business when the day comes. For the rest of us
the question is when do we spend the money, and how do we spend it
in such a way that it doesn't harm the business. We all have to
implement IPv6. Some of us will get greater benefit by moving in early
and building up IPv6 capability year on year. Others will benefit by
waiting a while and making the big leap just before the wall comes down.
But in general, the benefits will be the following:

 1. You stay in the game
 2. You don't damage your overall business too much
 3. You keep change to a manageable level

In any case, there is no answer to the question: How do we move to IPv6?
The reality is that everyone is in a slightly different situation so
the movement will happen in fits and starts, sometimes in the open,
sometimes
in secret. There will be trial and tribulations like in the early days
of
the commercial Internet or the early DSL deployments. There simply is
no magic bullet, and no right way to do things.

--Michael Dillon